Provides specialised academic and professional studies in education in 4 fields of specialisation: General Teaching and Learning; Education Management, Law and Systems; Mathematics Education; Learner Support.
QUALIFICATION NAME: Honours Degree in Education
- NQF Level 7
- SAQA ID: 59302
BEdHons is intended to acknowledge specialised academic or professional studies in education. On completion of their studies students will be able to demonstrate an advanced reflexive understanding, of and a competency in knowledge, skills, values, principles, methods and procedures relevant to their specialisations in education.
Students will be able to understand the role that research plays in education, make basic evaluations and conduct educational research. These studies will enable students to play a leadership role in professional educational activities within the different sectors of teaching in South Africa.
OVERVIEW OF THE QUALIFICATION
Below are the fields of specialisation to choose from:
- General Teaching and Learning
- Education Management, Law and Systems
- Mathematics Education
- Learner Support
To apply for admission to an BEdHons programme, you must have one or more of the following:
- A Baccalaureus degree or equivalent (360 credits) plus a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (BA + PTC/ACE) or another professional education qualification (120 credits, of which 72 are at level 6);
- A four year (480 credits) Baccalaureus in Education (BEd);
- B-degree with relevant education modules
- A recognised (SAQA accredited) teaching qualification that adds up to 480 credits (72 credits at level 6).
- Any recognised RPL equivalent for the above
- The languages used for administrative matters is English. All correspondence from the NWU is mainly in English.
- The BEdHons qualification offers most modules in English and Afrikaans.
- Students may write their exams and submit assignments in English or Afrikaans.
- English will be used in contact sessions, but students may use English or Afrikaans depending on the facilitator’s language preference.
DURATION OF THE QUALIFICATION
- The minimum study period is – 2 years
- The maximum study period is –3 years
- Certification will be withheld from students who accelerate their studies (shorten the minimum period).
Please see the Prospectus
for More Information