Distance and e-learning programmes are becoming increasingly vital for students that would like to advance their education, but who struggle to enrol at traditional campus-based institutions for a full-time programme. However, students need to understand the importance of getting a qualification from an accredited institution and the dangers of receiving a non-accredited qualification from non-recognised institutions.
WHAT IS ACCREDITATION?
Accreditation ensures a basic level of quality in the education you receive from an institution. It also helps to ensure that your qualification is recognised for the achievement it is. It is the function of an accreditation organisation to review colleges, universities, and other institutions of higher education to guarantee quality and an improvement of these institutionsâ€™ efforts.
WHO DOES ACCREDITATION IN NAMIBIA?
Accreditation of persons, institutions and organisations involved in education and training in Namibia is done by the Namibia Qualification Authority (NQA) in accordance to the legal mandate to carry out its obligations as stated in Section 13 of the Namibia Qualifications Authority, Act No 29 of 1996.
Accreditation by the NQA is an independent attestation that:
- specific courses or programmes offered by an education and training provider such as BSE meets acceptable standards
- the education and training provider can teach or deliver those specified courses or programmes, and
- the training provider can assess the performance of learners enrolled for the specified courses or programmes.
HOW DOES ACCREDITATION IMPACT MY EDUCATION?
Accreditation is the tool used to monitor, assess, and evaluate the standards and quality of the education a student receives at an institution of higher learning. Because of the process of accreditation, students, families, and employers can trust that the education they are paying for is valuable and worthwhile.
Studying through an accredited institution does not automatically guarantee a student’s success. It is up to the individual student to make the most of the education he or she is receiving! However, if student performance at an accredited institution is not satisfactory and does not demonstrate a high level of educational performance and competence, an accreditation organisation may need to step in to examine the effectiveness of the institution and evaluate what aspects can be improved.
HOW DOES AN INSTITUTION’S ACCREDITATION STATUS IMPACT MY ABILITY TO GET FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?Â
Students who want or need to get a loan or bursary from institutions such as NSFAF or from banks or corporations that from time to time provide loans or bursaries should be sure to enrol at accredited institutions of higher learning.
In general, NQA is concerned with factors such as an institutionâ€™s standard of student admission and practices of student recruitment, financial well-being, and student learning achievement outcomes.
WHOW DOES AN INSTITUTION’S ACCREDITATION STATUS IMPACT MY ABILITY TO GET A JOB AFTER GRADUATION?
During the job interview process, having any kind of edge over your competition is welcome. Most potential employers review a job applicant’s educational history to make sure that he or she has received his or her education from an accredited institution. If your degree, diploma, or certificate comes from a school that has not been accredited, it could hurt your chances of future employment.
Business School of Excellence takes great care to ensure that the institution complies with all Namibian accreditation requirements. Business School of Excellence is not only accredited by NQA as a training provider, but all qualifications offered to current and prospective students are also accredited and recognised by NQA. In addition, BSE is also registered with the Namibian Training Authority as a qualified trainer of competency-based, industry qualifications.
WHY SHOULD YOU CONSIDER DISTANCE LEARNING?
Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today. (Malcom X)
Education is one of the most important factors that will contribute towards your career development and future success. However, the investment that people have to make in terms of time and money, puts the dream of educating oneself increasingly out of reach for most.Â
Education providers are continuously developing new and innovative channels to make education and training more accessible and affordable to the marketplace. Distance and e-learning programmes are becoming more and more vital in the world of higher education. Through the use of the internet and other electronic media, online learning programmes make it possible for many individuals of all ages to educate themselves. Distance learning programmes, such as those offered by Business School of Excellence, encompass a blend of technologies that support the individualâ€™s pursuit of lifelong learning.
Some of the benefits of distance learning are:
- Choice: Often, the scope of courses offered by traditional campus-based institutions is limited. Distance programmes provide students the opportunity to access a wider scope of possible qualifications or subjects to choose from which are not offered in traditional programmes.
- Flexibility: Distance learning is much more flexible than traditional styles of classroom education. Students who need to take other classes or work, can do classwork whenever they have a free moment instead of being restricted to a rigid schedule.
- Networking: Instead of being limited to networking in the local area, distance learning enables students to make connections with a more diverse range of people and a wider range of networking opportunities.
- Scheduling: The need to plan your private and professional life around class schedules is greatly reduced by distance learning. It allows students, parents and professionals to focus on their studies whenever it fits into their schedule.
- Fees: Online studies typically cost less than full-time, campus-based education. These savings are passed on from the educational institution to each student, making the studies more affordable.
- Travelling: A huge advantage of distance or online education is that the need to travel to and from class, apart from periodic contact sessions, is eliminated. This alone will mean reduced out-of-pocket expenses for those relying on public or other forms of transport every day.Â
Distance learning may not be the ideal option for everyone but should be considered when looking at options for education.